Accountability and value for money
Womankind uses a financial system that maintains high levels of accountability and transparency.
It starts when our partners work with local communities to identify a project. Once approved, financial activity is monitored monthly by budget holders. Detailed learning and financial reports are submitted by all our partner organisations every six months. And performance against budget is monitored quarterly by our Board of Trustees and Finance & Resources Committee.
Womankind is committed to working with the utmost transparency, for example by improving the range and quality of information available on our website.
- Read more about where your money goes
- Please contact us for a detailed breakdown of our expenditure and income
Value for money
Womankind is also committed to delivering value for money throughout our work.
Our approach to women’s rights and development, delivers value for money at three levels:
- Our focus on women: Evidence shows investing in women delivers value for money and effectiveness as more inclusive and sound policies and practices benefit the most disadvantaged.
- All our staff are based in the UK: There are no offices or staff based overseas because we work exclusively through partner organisations. This business model, with a UK office, keeps staffing and administrative costs to a minimum.
- Working with multiple partners in each country: Womankind limits the number of countries we work in to 13 and works with a minimum of three partners in each country. This approach allows for efficiencies in travel costs and for us to support and train several groups of partners during a single visit.
In addition, we deliver value for money through:
- Rigorous cost control systems, including regular reviews of our overhead costs and service contracts
- Robust systems for gathering evidence of impact on women’s lives and effectiveness coupled with effective ongoing evaluation of achievements and performance
- Sharing innovative approaches, successes, and expertise with other UK and international charities to champion the most effective approaches to achieving equality for women
- Maximising the performance of our staff. Our award of the Quality Mark 2 of People in Aid reflects how seriously Womankind takes this
- Working with our partner organisations to support women in holding their local and national government to account in terms of budgeting and aid expenditure, for example through participatory budgeting