The Big Give
With your help we raised £20,000 through the Big Give in December 2013 – thank you!
Everyday women face violence, discrimination and poverty just because they’re female.
- An estimated 100 to 140 million women have had female genital mutilation
- In many countries girls are forced to marry early, which limits their education and makes it more likely they’ll suffer domestic violence
- Traditional laws in many countries prevent widows from inheriting property, often leaving them and this children destitute.
Thank you for donating to help end harmful traditional practices. Your donations have gone twice as far to support women making changes for their communities and beyond.
What is the Big Give Christmas Challenge?
The Big Give Christmas Challenge is an annual matched funding event. For three mornings only, online donations to participating charities are matched by the Big Give’s partners and the charities’ own major donors and supporters.
How does it work?
Donations made online during the Big Give are matched by a combination of pledges donated by our major donors and the Big Give’s Philanthropist Fund.
What will my money go towards?
Your gift will help support our work, including ending harmful traditional practices.
In order for women to be empowered and live free from violence and harmful practices such as FGM and child abduction, they need to be economically self sufficient. Our partners in Ethiopia, Siiqqee and ICEDA, work to abolish FGM and child abduction; Siiqqee runs a network of Self Help Groups and supports women to start their own small businesses, ICEDA raises awareness in schools and communities.
- In one school in Dukem, where our partner ICEDA works, the number of girls who dropped out during the traditional season for female genital mutilation ceremonies has fallen from 7 out of 10 to 2 out of 10
- In Woliso, where our partner Siiqqee works, female genital mutilation has been reduced by 60%