Since we were founded in 1989, Womankind Worldwide has supported more than 18 million women and girls to transform their lives and communities.
Our partnership approach creates lasting change on three levels:
Individual – we deliver practical services such as access to safe houses, legal advice, training and information.
Community - we give women the confidence, skills and knowledge to support other women, and together we challenge and change attitudes and beliefs.
Internationally – we work with local, national and international decision makers to protect and promote women’s rights.
In 2015-16, we worked with 28 women’s rights organisations in 13 countries.
We directly supported 110,810 women through projects and services including leadership training or refuge space.
We indirectly supported 13.9 million women, girls, men and boys through awareness raising on women’s rights and changes to legislation, policies and practices.
Read more in our Impact Report 2015-16.
Here are just a few examples of what we achieved with our partners:
- 16,486 women and children are overcoming violence and rebuilding their lives as a result of legal support from Zimbabwe Women Lawyers Association (ZWLA) in Zimbabwe.
- Thanks to the hard work of the Feminist Dalit Organisation (FEDO), Nepal's Election Commission included ten points in their five-year strategic plan and gender and social inclusion are now ensured at all levels of the election commission, from the local to the national level.
- 32,634 young people in Bolivia reported being more comfortable talking about sexual and reproductive issues as a result of peer-to-peer training by Centro de Promocion de la Mujer Gregoria Apaza.
- 3,927 girls in Afghanistan became aware of their rights thanks to programmes led by Humanitarian Assistance for the Women and Children of Afghanistan (HAWCA). As a result, more families allowed daughters to go to school and the girls expressed stronger opposition to early marriage.
- 295 women in rural Ethiopia accessed a loan, as well as a safe space to discuss their issues and grow their confidence, thanks to self-help groups run by Siiqqee Women's Development Association. All of them have started businesses that are expanding and are now able to take on leadership positions within their communities.
In addition, thanks to our policy and campaigns work:
- Together with our partners, we produced leading research and resources, campaigned for change and developed relationships with key decision makers, from UK government and the United Nations to international feminist movements.
- We worked with partners in Kenya, Nepal and Peru to develop an advocacy toolkit for women's rights organisations campaigning for the implementation of the new global Sustainable Development Goals.
Help us do more: donate to Womankind today.